5 Tips to Increase Your Influence in Meetings
Meetings can be an excellent opportunity to share your ideas and make an impact in your workplace. However, it can easily go unnoticed if you struggle to speak up in meetings, whether in-person or on a web call. Here are five tips to help you make yourself heard in meetings:
1. Claim your virtual space: Start by announcing your contribution before launching into your point. This will grab people's attention and help to focus the discussion. For example, you might say, “Can we pause to look at this from the customer’s perspective?” or “Let’s step back and take a longer-term view of these metrics.”
2. Be clear and concise: Articulate your proposal's skeleton so people understand what you're suggesting before you dive into the details. Then, flesh out your idea, explaining why it's essential. People need to know why they should care or prioritize it now.
3. Speak confidently: Use a clear and assertive tone of voice when you're speaking. This will help you appear more confident and make people more likely to listen to what you say.
4. Listen actively: Being an active listener will make you more engaged in the conversation and help you identify opportunities to contribute. Make eye contact with the person speaking, nod your head to show that you're following along, and ask clarifying questions if necessary.
5. Invite feedback: It's important to invite feedback from others to see how your message is received. Ask questions like, "How many of you feel this way?" or "What are your thoughts on this topic?" This will allow you to receive constructive criticism, engage with others, and improve your ideas.
By following these tips, you can confidently speak up and share your ideas in meetings. Remember, your voice matters, and your ideas can significantly impact your workplace!